Saturday, August 1, 2020

Skeletons? Sculpture? Driftwood? YES

7/17/20 - 7/20/20 St. Augustine, FL to Brunswick, GA, 104 miles, stayed at Coastal Georgia RV resort, 3 nights at $45.36/night

If you’ve read my other posts, you know, I am a beach lover!  Any time we get near a coast, I have to dip my toes in. So when I heard we were near a beach that had eroded away so that the tree’s roots had been exposed and were left lying on the sand like huge driftwood, I had to see it. (It is one of the settings used for The Walking Dead.)

It’s an easy drive out to Driftwood Beach at the north end of Jekyll Island, near Brunswick, Georgia, a vacation destination in its own right. Then, we parked and walked a few yards through the woods to the beach and stood among them. Every turn revealed a new fallen tree. They truly do look like skeletons of some long-extinct gigantic ocean creatures, each one a beautiful sculpture in its own right. I couldn’t take enough pictures. 

The locals come here at sunrise to take gorgeous colorful photos, or wedding photos, or have a wedding on the sand, but you have to be careful to time it with the tides, or you’ll get washed away. Luckily, we caught it at the right time of day, as did many others who were using the huge root balls as beach umbrellas. 

The photos speak for themselves...








No comments:

Post a Comment