Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Warranty Work and Repairs, Tiffin Allegro Campground, Red Bay, AL ... still

 

We knew when we set out that we needed to get back to Tiffin before our one-year warranty was up.  Since we took delivery in September, Bill has been keeping a list of small and large things that needed to be addressed - like the dead bolt on our front door broke off, the door has to be slammed to get a good seal, there’s a huge thump under the driver’s seat when we go over a bump, there’s a scratch in the bathroom window.  Stuff like that.  So, we pulled into the campground last Friday, presented our list of over 50 items, and settled in to wait.  Thankfully we stay for free, because rigs are repaired on a first-come-first-serve basis.

When I say campground, I mean parking lot, and not even well-paved.  There are lots of potholes and the spots themselves are gravel and dirt.  You cannot imagine how many OCD men can work in vane, for long hot hours, to keep their coaches clean, especially after a rainstorm.  I thought Bill was bad.  Tiffin owners call this “the pilgrimage to the mothership,” but the only thing that’s really enjoyable about this trip is meeting the people, hearing their stories, and swapping advice about their rigs.  The first Sunday we were there, one owner took it upon himself to smoke three Boston butts and invited the whole park to “bring a chair and something to share.” I get that Tiffin doesn’t want folks to get too comfortable, but we met people who had been here for three weekend.  Eek!

Originally they told us it would take a week before we could get into a bay.  They called us late Tuesday to say, “Be in bay 34 at 7 am.”  Hurray!  Each weekday morning, we got up early (I hate alarm clocks), and joined the parade to get to the correct bay on time.  We were in bay 34 for two days, moved to bay 42 for chassis work (see photo above), and tomorrow, we go to bay 24 for paint work, which is supposed to take three days.

There’s not a lot to do while you wait. I stayed in the coach for as much time as I could bear, then wandered into the lounge, which is divide between “pets” and “no pets”.  I met a woman who gave me good info on crocheting, which I’m teaching myself.  My neighbor gave me yarn, so I could start practicing.  I petted the dogs, worked a puzzle, read, worked crosswords, colored, drew, and wandered some more.

Now that we’re so close to July 4, we don’t want to leave, because campsites will the FULL!  Hopefully, all work will be done and we’ll leave  Red Bay Monday, July 8.  Whew!



No comments:

Post a Comment